Moving boundary at common interface of two metal blocks

General discussions about how to formulate a script for FlexPDE.

Moving boundary at common interface of two metal blocks

Postby pratroxx on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:52 am

Hello everyone,

I have written a code using 'Jump' and 'Contact' commands for understanding the heat flow between two dissimilar metal blocks in contact. As a part of additional requirement, the upper block of metal was first given displacement by using 'value(ux)' and 'value(uy)' commands. The upper metal block was displaced properly but the interface in common between two metals was also carried along with block. (Problem: The material points which form the common interface seem to be confused about whether to remain static with lower fixed block or to move along with upper block). I have tried using set of commands described under 'moving meshes' section but cannot implement it properly as velocities are involved. Is there any other alternative or a code for reference available which involves displacement of blocks? Also, is it possible to use displacement instead of velocity in set of commands prescribed for 'moving meshes'.
I would be really grateful if someone can share his/her experience with similar problems in past.
pratroxx

Re: Moving boundary at common interface of two metal blocks

Postby moderator on Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:32 pm

It depends on what you want to happen.
FlexPDE cannot do slip surfaces, and as far as I know, we have never tried to use contact boundaries to represent a jump in velocities.
Any VALUE condition would override a CONTACT condition (and hopefully draw a diagnostic report).
You might try using a CONTACT condition on the interface, with an INITIAL VALUE specification of the velocity in the upper block.

Re: Moving boundary at common interface of two metal blocks

Postby pratroxx on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:59 am

I have tried using a CONTACT condition on the interface with an INITIAL VALUE specification of the velocity in the upper block. The problem still remains with sliding of one block on another. The material points which form a common interface between upper and lower block also travel along with upper block during motion. If I give initial gap between upper and lower block and after applying vertical pressure to ensure contact between blocks, the blocks seem to slide over one another without any problem. In this case I cannot use 'Jump' and 'Contact' conditions for heat transfer because in order to use them the two blocks need to be in initial contact. If they are in contact then there is a problem of material points being carried along with upper block. I am able to solve either of the problem but I still cannot get rid of both problems simultaneously. Is there any alternate solution to solve these problems simultaneously?
pratroxx

Return to FlexPDE Discussion