Vector Operator xcomp

General discussions about how to formulate a script for FlexPDE.

Vector Operator xcomp

Postby vas on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi,
In flexpde6, the following worked.
Code: Select all
top = point(0)  interface1 = point(10)  interface2 = point(30) interface3 = point(60)  bottom = point(80)
    H = xcomp(bottom) - xcomp(top)

However, in flexpde7, xcomp turns out to be undefined.
It is true, in the above the value of H is trivial to find.
However, in general, I would like to know a workaround.

Thanks.
vas
vas

Re: Vector Operator xcomp

Postby moderator on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:22 pm

In version 7, the component operator was modified to take the actual coordinate names instead of x, y, and z. In cartesian systems there would be no difference, however if you redefine the coordinates or use a cylindrical or spherical system, the names will change. E.g., if you were using the CYLINDER1 or SPHERE1 coordinate system, then RCOMP will give you the first component. I assume you are using one of these or have redefined the coordinates to encounter this error. If not, post your script and we can look into it further.

We typically try to support previous uses of things so as not to invalidate older scripts. That apparently was overlooked in this case. We will look into supporting the XCOMP, YCOMP, and ZCOMP forms even in the case of redefinition of coordinate names. Hopefully available in the next update (v7.08). They would act as previously; first, second, and third components.

I also notice that the documentation did not get updated to reflect this change in behavior. We will have that updated as well.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Return to FlexPDE Discussion